Sunday, June 10, 2012

Cheesesteaks and flamboyant parades

A very interesting day. Called a big audible- decided to head to hartford Connecticut for the night rather than an extra day in Philly. We don't care. Were big boys. We do what we want.

Mark:
Today was alright. Continuing with the theme of spontaneity we ate lunch in Philly but decided to leave early and make our way to Connecticut to stay for the night, leaving us a short drive to Boston tomorrow. It's been swell and now I'm chilling in a tent with Mike and Hunter writing this post. 
My favorite part of the day was chilling for a short while in Philly. We had ourselves some pretty good cheesesteak sandwiches for lunch and got to walk around the city for a while. We walked by Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell, experiencing that bit US history. While we were there we saw that there was a parade going on down 6th street. We decided to watch it for a bit and it was so much fun. People were passing out cool rainbow colored flags all over for the crowds to enjoy the parade as well. There were floats and cars painted all sorts of colors. People were all smiling and hugging. I wanted to hold Mike's hand so that I would fit in. There was one awesome float that I think was advertising some sort of swimsuits because the men on top were all dancing to music wearing speedos. A few of them even wore bikinis and had wigs on which looked kind of funny. Unfortunately we missed getting a picture with them. Hunter would have looked great with his arm around the waist of "speedo guy." It was a fun parade. I wonder what the occasion was for such a celebration. Perhaps we will never know. 

H$: After a year of rooming with Mike, I finally got to take things to the next level- I shared a bed with him. He's a great cuddler(ladies). Anyways, it wouldn't be a trip to Philly without having an authentic Philly cheesesteak. We arrived at Jim's cheesesteaks at around 12:30, poised and ready. Now on a normal day, I would have snacked quite a bit by this point in the day, but traveling doesn't allow for that type of behavior, so I was pretty hungry. I got the cheesesteak with whiz. No complaints. Really hit the spot. After hanging around the city for a bit, we all kind of realized were not city people. So we made the snap decision to head to hartford Connecticut. We had not planned for this, so we had to do a little research and find a prime eating spot. What we found was Teds famous burgers: home of the steamed burger. This hole-in-the-wall was featured on the popular show man vs food. This place lived up to the hype. A very unique, steamed patty, with separately steamed white cheddar cheese and bacon, complete with a side of generously seasoned homefries. Mmmmmm. Mark mike and I are now settling into our campsite with very happy tummies. Sorry for no pics, we're blogging from a phone. Peace out

Microwave: You know those moments in your life when you come to the realization that at some point something about you changed? I had one of those today. I've always been an organized person. I've always needed to have a plan or else I get stressed. Coming in to this trip we had no plan. My parents asked me to give them our itinerary and all I had was the list of cities we were going to and when we would be there. By the way, we have already scratched those few plans we had. Today at about 8 we didn't know where we were going to sleep. Previously this would have made me nervous. I would've been stressed and unpleasant to be around. But I realized that I had neither of those emotions, I was completely fine with our uncertainty. That was kind of a cool moment. 
In other news, on the road today we were stopped at a toll booth. We were like the 10th car in line and it took us 7 minutes until we were through. It was awful. I wanted to cry. Mark actually did. 
Right now we are settling down at a campsite in Connecticut. It's a gorgeous place, right by a lake and everything. It's amazing the amount of stars you can see out in the middle of nowhere, that's one of my favorite things about camping. It was already dark when we got here and it took about an hour for us to set up our tent, but other than that I'd consider this night a great success. 

No comments:

Post a Comment