Saturday, June 9, 2012

Victory

We decided we wanted to blog about our trip.  No deep thoughts.  No inspirational quotes.  No song lyrics.  Just the random musings of three hungry college grads.

H$:  Our first stop on our food tour took us to the town of Downingtown, PA. We ate at a place called Victory Brewing, where i had some of the best tacos ive ever had.  All in all a great day, but id like to take a second to go on a little rant here.  As soon as we crossed the Mason-Dixon line, the road systems took a turn for the worse (get it?).  On multiple occasions, we looked at the roads and could do nothing but throw our hands up and say "what the heck?" (like the road that had turns off of it, but also had signs forbidding us from turning).  Seriously guys, get a little more organization in your roads.  Final thought: Call Me, Maybe radio count=7.


MM: One of my favorite things about taking road trips is seeing more of the country than I usually see. It's cool to see how different some states are. That being said, some states do stupid things, particularly in their transportation system. We were driving through Maryland trying to stay on route 15, and at one point the signs clearly stated that we could either turn right or left and still stay going north on route 15. I'm not sure how that's possible, but I am sure that if they made that possible they wasted a whole lot of money constructing it. On a different note, I'd like to point out that I'm slowly adding to the number of road trips that I've taken my car on. Since I've owned it, my car has been to Colorado, Florida, South Carolina (at least three times), New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Tennessee, and all the states necessary to drive to the states above. I'm not sure why I always get volunteered to drive, but my car has got to go on some awesome adventures.

MRI: Today was Saturday June 9. I enjoyed myself today. I woke up semi-early to get packed, took my time listening to Radiohead while assembling my various items in preparation for departure. It was a solid trip up to Mike's awesome house up in Catharpin (don't try to say it aloud) and we were on our way north before 1pm. The most interesting parts of my day involved our spontaneity and beer. To begin the day the only actual plan we had was to make our way into the Philadelphia area and eat dinner at the Victory Brewery as well as find a place to stay. At Mike's house we bid on a hotel room on Priceline and got it for pretty cheap (I think I could have gone lower.) This determined our housing for the night. The rest of the week's housing plan is yet to be determined. I love this about the trip so far. We make it up as we go along, following the loose itinerary of Philly, Boston, New York. Even on the way to Philadelphia we spontaneously decided to visit our friend David Drewry and pulled off the road just in time to make it to his house. It's fun doing whatever seems to work.
In addition, the day held for me a great revelation concerning beer: mass produced light beers are not very good. I began the evening with a pitcher of lager from Victory Brewing. It was an excellent choice. After that we watched the Eastern Conference finals at a bar and I had a tasty local ale that was on tap. By the end of the night I was not feeling spending much more money and ordered a cheap Coors Light. It sucked. It tasted like the worst beer I ever had. I was not happy. I hope I am not ultimately spoiled by this trip because I doubt that my future holds the ability to enjoy primarily craft beers on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment