Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Pastry Love

Tonight we have a special treat for you.  In a GIMB first, we have a special guest writer for you.  This man needs no introduction, but I will give him one anyways.  Many of you know him as hambone or the cheetah man.  He is 6'3, 183 pounds of pure muscle and filled with love.  Ladies and gentlemen, live from the big apple, Mr. John Francis Flannery.

JFlan: Wow, what an honor. Firstly, I want to thank my family and friends for putting me in a place to be able to contribute to this historic blog. The day--which began dark and cloudy--has ended warm and jovial, filled with good conversation under the light of the luminous blue moon. I am not sure of our plans for this upcoming week, but I do know they will be epic.

HStone: Growing up, we reach certain ages where it becomes socially unacceptable to perform certain activities.  For some of these, age limits are clearly defined.  However, for many others, they are not well-defined and instead subjected to our own judgement.  So having said all that, I'm disappointed in you 17 year old guy playing in the children's fountain.  I don't care if it was a little funny watching you with your giant penguin toy messing around in the fountain, you and your Hawaiian short-sleeve button down need to go.  Get it together dork.  




Now on a lighter note, I love cannolis.  The crunchy exterior balances perfectly with the soft, creamy goodness inside.  Garnish it with chocolate chips galore on both sides and you got yourself one sick pastry.  In my day, I haven't come across a better tasting cannoli then the one from Mikes Pastries in the North End of Boston.  Located in a very cool part of town, with the aroma of Italian food and freshly baked bread permeating the streets, it's not possible to have a bad time here.  Boston: you never disappoint.  Time to move on to NYC.  Parting thought: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is gonna be great.  Go see it.

MRI: Second day in Boston I had a singular goal: obtain and consume a Flour Baker + Cafe sticky bun. It was an arduous journey of turmoil, discovery, and undaunted resolve. 
My story began as many have, with an internet search for tasty foods in Boston. As much of our trip has revolved around restaurants we have discovered on the food channel, I looked up such establishments in Boston. I came across several, and among those I discovered short food network special devoted to a certain bakery's sticky bun. These sticky buns are prepared similarly to cinnamon rolls but with a special twist. A caramel swirl topping is mixed and the uncooked buns are allowed to soak in it overnight. After soaking, they are cooked to perfection the following day and served to customers with pecans sprinkled on top. As I am no stranger to cinnamon rolls I knew that I must purchase and consume one of these delectable treats. After much hiking through Boston's financial district, a classy area, we found the Flour Bakery + Cafe that these scrumptious treats reside in. Unfortunately it was lunch time and extremely crowded so we decided to delay our visit and walk around for a bit, which almost turned out to be a horrible mistake.
I returned to the heavenly pastry shop and began the grueling 8 minute wait to get to the front of the line. I viewed the menu and was disappointed to see no sticky buns listed there. I went into a near panic before realizing that none of the pastries were listed, but were rather laid out as they became available. I strained to see to the front of the line behind the counter, attempting to catch just a glimpse of the goodie I craved. As I approached I saw them: a small tin tray with two sticky buns left in it. At this point I was still seven places back in line. I watched them carefully, seeing one go to the next person in line. I was scared that after all of this I would just miss getting the last sticky bun of the day. A server moved to pick up the bun and my heart sank. I was about to break down into tears right then and there. She lifted it and placed it on a plate.... and RETURNED IT TO THE COUNTER! I saw this and very nearly leapt for joy. I purchased the bun and savored it along with a freshly squeezed lemonade below the statue of Paul Revere at the Old North Church.
It was pretty good.

Mid-range Mike: Boston is a pretty awesome city. This was the second time I had been there and I liked it a lot more than I did the first time. I think it's mostly because this time the weather was a perfect 75 degrees and sunny all day long; last time it was raining my entire stay. Today for lunch we ate at a nice, cheap pizza stand called Haymarket Pizza. For those of y'all in Charlottesville, just think Christian's Pizza but in a dumpier-looking building. Then we walked around the North End of Boston. We didn't really focus on where we were going, so we ended up walking through a few very Italian neighborhoods. It seemed like everyone knew everyone else, it was a very cool family-like atmosphere. For dinner, we tried to find this one diner called Valencia Luncheria. We ended up finding it but as the name suggests, it was only open for lunch. So after that we ended up driving through the entire town of Norwalk, CT and found a sketchy-looking diner called Penny's. It ended up having some pretty solid food, once again proving that the hole-in-the-wall restaurants turn out to be pretty great like 78% of the time. 
Random Updates:
Somebody that I used to know counter - annoying
Careless whisper counter - 0 :(
Miles walked - 15.3
Pounds gained - 7
Times Mark missed our exit - 1 (it's a great story, you'll have to ask me about it)

No comments:

Post a Comment